AGA Women's Committee
This Organizational Statement was last revised by the Governing Board, (5) VOTED, February 2012.
Registration for our Women in GI Regional Workshops is now open
Nominate yourself or a colleague for the Women's Committee by Nov. 1.
To: (a) foster and promote involvement and advancement of women members of AGA; (b) address (through policy recommendations and programs) concerns of women members of AGA relative to their professional endeavors; (c) address (through policy recommendations and programs) women’s health issues; and (d) hold a constituency meeting at Digestive Disease Week® (DDW) to solicit comments, ideas and proposals from the constituency for further consideration by the committee.
Ellen Zimmermann, MD, AGAF, talks about the leadership roles AGA has taken in promoting women in GI with specific attention given to mentorship.
- Assess the Strategic Plan to assure strategic directions reflect the interest and concerns of women members; reviews the Stratgic Plan to determine new and better ways to achieve association goals
- Works with other committees and the AGA Institute Council to effect the mission of the committee; assesses the effectiveness of such programs annually and reports thereon to the governing board.
- Advocates for more involvement of women in all aspects of AGA activities; issues an annual report to the governing board.
The committee consists of eight members (including a chair), plus a trainee, to be selected for their interest in issues that affect women. Two members shall be appointed at-large; five members shall be apointed from among members of AGA and AGA Institute committees and the AGA Institute Council. A member of the governing board (who shall not count against the maximum membership) shall serve as the liaison to the committee and shall attend all committee meetings; additional members of the governing board (who shall not count against the maximum membership) may be assigned as team members to the committee but are not intended to attend any commmittee meetings. A chair-elect (who shall not count against the maximum membership) shall be appointed one year before the end of the term of the chair.
Sponsored DDW® Events and Symposium
- Women’s Committee Sponsored Symposium
- Women’s Committee Luncheon
The committee is authorized to hold two face-to-face meetings per year, one in September, one at DDW and teleconferences as needed.
Women's Leadership Conference
Leadership development uniquely designed for the women of AGA
Since 2014, the Women’s Leadership Conference has brought together women from varying work settings to develop and leverage the skills of both early career and accomplished women in GI. The exclusive event for the women of AGA is an empowering experience that will help you grow professionally, personally and maximize your impact in the field along the way.
Empower your career and refine your skills with guidance from other GI women leaders.
- Aimee L. Lucas, MD, MS, AGAF (chair)
- Kim Barrett, PhD, AGAF (governing board liaison)
- Wendy A. Henderson, PhD
- Heather M. Patton, MD, AGAF
- Anca I. Pop, MD, MBA, AGAF
- Elisa Boden, MD
- Alyson Johnson, MD
- Asma Khapra, MD
- Linda Anh Bui Nguyen, MD
- Loren G. Rabinowitz, MD
- Kira Newman, MD, PhD (trainee member)
- Fasiha Kanwal, MD, MSHS, AGAF (ex-officio)