By Gail A. Hecht, MD, MS, AGAF, chair, AGA Center for Gut Microbiome Research and Education Scientific Advisory Board; co-chair, Gut Microbiota for Health World Summit Scientific Committee
The 8th annual Gut Microbiota for Health (GMFH) World Summit was held March 23-24, 2019, in Miami, Florida. The 2019 GMFH Summit hosted 365 attendees from 49 countries for an outstanding program focused on the latest evidence regarding the interplay between diet and the gut microbiome. In addition to our invited speakers, 23 investigators presented their abstracts during a poster session. Read the poster abstracts.
The GMFH scientific committee, which I have the pleasure of co-chairing with Francisco Guarner, MD, PhD (University Hospital Vall d’Hebron, Barcelona, Spain), recruited an incredible roster of world-renowned experts in the science and application of the gut microbiome. For those who were unable to attend the meeting, here are some of the ways you can access the program.
Select presentations from the 2019 GMFH World Summit are now available through AGA University (free, but login required).
- Keynote Lecture: Current Understanding of the Human Microbiome — Jack A. Gilbert, PhD, University of California, San Diego
- FODMAPs and IBS — Magnus Simrén, MD, PhD, University of Gothenburg (Sweden)
- Microbiome Dynamics in Metabolic Diseases — Christoph Thaiss, PhD, University of Pennsylvania
- Low Dietary Fiber-Induced Mucosal Erosion Worsens Spontaneous Colitis in Genetically Susceptible Hosts — Eric Martens, PhD, University of Michigan
- Dietary Fiber and Foundation Guild of Healthy Gut Microbiota — Liping Zhao, PhD, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
- Exercise, Fitness, Diet and the Gut Microbiome — Paul Cotter, PhD, University College Cork (Ireland)
- Microbe-Derived Metabolites and the Liver — Rohit Loomba, MD, University of California, San Diego
Thank you to all of the attendees who helped #GMFH2019 become a trending topic on Twitter throughout the event. AGA has summarized the “best of” Twitter from the 2019 GMFH World Summit.
AGA POSTGRADUATE COURSE
I will be presenting “Updates from the GMFH World Summit” on May 19 at the AGA Postgraduate Course, held at the San Diego Convention Center in conjunction with Digestive Disease Week®. Visit pgcourse.gastro.org for more information and to register for the course.
We are in the process of preparing the meeting proceedings for publication in a peer-reviewed journal. More to come soon.
The GMFH Summit is organized by AGA and the European Society of Neurogastroenterology and Motility (ESNM), and endorsed by the American Neurogastroenterology and Motility Society and the European Society for Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition. AGA and ESNM are grateful to the 2019 GMFH World Summit supporters: Danone (Founding Supporter), Sanofi (Sustaining Supporter), Bio-K+ International Inc., Rebiotix Inc, part of the Ferring Pharmaceuticals Group, and Seres Therapeutics.
I look forward to seeing the microbiome community next year when ESNM will host the 2020 GMFH World Summit in Madrid, Spain on March 7-8.