Distinguished Service Award in Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Established in 2021, the Distinguished Service Award in Diversity, Equity and Inclusion honors an individual who has promoted diversity, equity and inclusion within AGA and the broader gastroenterology community.
Recognition Award nominations are under review. AGA will announce the 2024 recipients by press release in Spring 2024.
Recognition Award nominations are open through Sept. 28, 2023.
Created in 2021, the Distinguished Service Award in Diversity, Equity and Inclusion honors an individual who has promoted diversity, equity and inclusion within AGA and the broader gastroenterology community.
- Nominees have a record of commitment to and achievement in promoting diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) in gastroenterology through mentorship, training, clinical practice, research, advocacy, and/or community engagement.
- Nominees must have a current AGA membership.
- The recipient is selected by the Recognition Prizes Panel constituting members of the AGA Diversity Committee, AGA Institute Clinical Guidelines Committee, AGA Institute Education and Training Committee, AGA Institute Practice Management and Economics Committee, and AGA Institute Research Policy Committee.
- The AGA Governing Board ratifies the recipient.
Nominations are reviewed according to the eligibility criteria listed above and the following review and selection criteria. Nominees:
- Have demonstrated exemplary service to AGA through service or leadership on AGA committees, journal editorial boards, and/or the governing board, and have positively influenced the diversity, equity and inclusion of the organization or the broader gastroenterology community. Recognition as an AGA Fellow is also considered.
- Contributed and/or developed DEI focused:
- Organizational policies and procedures.
- Educational materials.
- Clinical guidance or research.
- Advancement pathways in clinical practice and patient care initiatives at their institutions.
- National, regional and/or local advocacy.
- Serve on committees, task forces, and/or working groups with a DEI focus.
- Serve in leadership positions in DEI roles outside the AGA.
- Have research outputs highlighting and/or demonstrably reducing digestive disease health or healthcare disparities.
- Are nationally recognized for their DEI work as demonstrated by peer recognition, including invitations to provide talks on DEI topics.
The recipient is recognized at the AGA Awards Ceremony during Digestive Disease Week®.
All nominations are submitted online by a primary nominator who is an AGA member. The names of additional AGA members who support the nomination should be listed on the nomination form and included as signatories on the nomination letter.
Complete nomination packages include the following supporting materials, uploaded in PDF format. Please title the files using the nominee’s last name, first initial and the type of file (i.e., DoeJ_Letter.pdf, DoeJ_CV.pdf).
- A nomination letter, not to exceed three pages, signed by the primary nominator and additional AGA members who support the nomination. Additional signature pages beyond the three-page limit are allowed when the letter has multiple signatures.
- Nominee’s curriculum vitae.
Current members of the AGA Recognition Prizes Panel and AGA Governing Board are prohibited from submitting or supporting nominations.
Please forward all questions about this and other AGA recognition prizes to 301-941-2619 or via email at [email protected].
|2023||Bishr Omary, MD, PhD, AGAF||For his strong track record of health equity initiatives in gastroenterology and hepatology, including driving the creation of the AGA Equity Project and efforts in securing NIH supplements for the AGA FORWARD Program.|
|2022||Folasade May, MD, PhD, MPhil||For her health equity research in gastroenterology and hepatology and significant contributions to AGA and the broader community through advocacy, mentorship and public service.|
|2021||Byron Cryer, MD, AGAF; Sandra Quezada, MD, MS||For their contributions as co-chairs of the AGA Equity Project Advisory Board.|