Microbiome & Microbial Therapy
To be added to this new section and receive news on the gut microbiome, visit your My AGA page, log in, then click the edit button next to Section Affiliations. Members interested in participating in the activities of the AGA Institute Council Microbiome & Microbial Therapy Section should contact us at [email protected]. We are especially interested in increasing participation of junior investigators, clinicians and international members.
Mission Statement and FOCI
The goal of the AGA Institute Council Microbiome & Microbial Therapy (MMT) is to promote ideas, research, technology, education and dialogue that advance the understanding of the gastrointestinal microbiome in health and disease.
Areas of focus
Microbiome community interactions with the host are broadly explored in the context of:
- Determinants and dynamics of microbiome structure and function.
- Gut microbial dysbiosis: causes and consequences in children and adults.
- Gut microbial regulation of host metabolic and energy homeostasis.
- Microbiome influences on infectious, immune and neoplastic disease.
- The microbiome-gut-brain axis and systemic interactions.
- Gut microbiome-based therapies.
- Pre, pro and post-biotics in health and disease.
These descriptors are intended to establish a deep understanding of interactions between microbiome communities and their hosts, and will also provide new insight into how host and epigenetic factors influence gastrointestinal ecosystems.