AGA Family of Websites: Gastro.org
AGA Journals
AGA Journals
AGA University
AGA University
AGA University
AGA Research Foundation
AGA University
AGA Community
AGA University
AGA Job Board
August 12, 2019

Image challenge: Gas in the liver

How should a patient that ingests hydrogen peroxide be managed?

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on email

Gastroenterology clinical image challenge: A 52-year-old man with no past medical or surgical history presented to the emergency department after accidental ingestion of 300 mL of a colorless liquid from his refrigerator. The patient instantly noticed a bitter taste in his mouth as well as burning sensation throughout his oropharynx and esophagus. Immediately after ingestion, the patient also experienced severe retching and emesis. On initial presentation, the patient was hemodynamically stable. There was no evidence of pneumoperitoneum, nor cardiac or neurologic symptoms suggesting air embolism. Further history revealed ingestion of unlabeled 35% hydrogen peroxide.

 

How should this condition be managed?

 

To find out the diagnosis, read the full case in Gastroenterology.

 

Discussion Icon

Discuss this news

Share this article in the AGA Community, your member-only platform for sharing your thoughts and ideas with your colleagues.

Not a member? Join AGA.

By using this site, you agree to our updated Privacy Policy.