The co-editors-in-chief of Gastroenterology have an important message for the GI community: “You are a leader within your health care setting, community and family; you can influence actions that will save lives and decrease the potential human and economic damage from COVID-19.”
In this new commentary, “COVID-19: What should gastroenterologists, hepatologists, and scientists do and when?“, Douglas A. Corley, MD, PhD, and Richard M. Peek, MD, cover current knowledge about COVID-19; information particularly relevant to gastroenterology/hepatology; and actions that can be effective. Some of these actions include:
- Develop plans now for reductions in personnel.
- Change patient in-person to telehealth visits, where appropriate.
- Delay non-essential (elective) procedures in areas with reported cases.
- Continue patients’ current medications.
- Frequently check updated recommendations from CDC and WHO.
Review their full commentary, along with other AGA published research on coronavirus, in this new COVID-19 journal collection.