CMS announced last month that physicians participating in the Quality Payment Program’s (QPP) Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) can apply for a reprieve on data reporting and for other flexibilities for the 2020 performance period.
The MIPS automatic extreme and uncontrollable circumstances (EUC) policy applies to all individual MIPS-eligible clinicians for the 2020 performance year. MIPS-eligible clinicians reporting as individuals will be scored only on performance categories for which they submitted data, with all other categories reweighted to 0% of their final score.
CMS also reopened the period to apply for an EUC exception and extended the deadline to March 31 to allow participants to request MIPS performance category reweighting.
According to the CMS announcement:
- MIPS-eligible clinicians who do not submit data for the 2020 performance year by the March 31 deadline do not need to take any action. They will automatically receive a neutral payment adjustment for the 2022 MIPS payment year.
- MIPS-eligible clinicians reporting as individuals who submit 2020 MIPS data for a single performance category by March 31 also will automatically receive a neutral adjustment.
- Individual MIPS-eligible clinicians who submit 2020 data for two or three performance categories will receive a final score based on the categories for which data is submitted and may earn a negative, neutral or positive payment adjustment.
- Groups or virtual groups that submit 2020 data for a single performance category can request reweighting in all four performance categories. However, if an application is not submitted, the group will be scored in all performance categories unless they are eligible for reweighting in one or more performance categories. If the application is approved and data is not submitted for another performance category the MIPS eligible clinicians will receive a neutral payment for the 2022 MIPS payment year.
- Groups/virtual groups that have submitted data for two or three performance categories will receive a MIPS final score and a MIPS payment adjustment for the 2022 MIPS payment year.
Because certain MIPS participants will need to apply for the exception, CMS is extending the deadline to complete EUC applications for the 2020 performance year to March 31 at 8 p.m. EDT.