AGA recently held its 11th annual AGA Tech Summit, the flagship meeting for the AGA Center for GI Innovation and Technology (CGIT). Despite being virtual for the first time, the meeting continued its mission of bringing together key stakeholders to discuss current advances in GI innovation and technology and next steps to push the field forward. We’re excited to share with you some meeting highlights.
Winner of the AGA Shark Tank
Congratulations to our 2021 AGA Shark Tank winner, Toufic Kachaamy, MD, FASGE, AGAF, from the Cancer Treatment Centers of America, Phoenix. Dr. Kachaamy presented a novel endoscopic ultrasound (EUS) access needle, a simple device that overcomes a longstanding challenge presented by endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP): biliary access. Both the audience and sharks selected this simple innovation as the winner due to its potential to provide an immediate response to ERCP failure without the need for a second procedure. Watch brief video pitches for all five innovations presented during the 2021 AGA Shark Tank.
Review more meeting coverage in AGA’s newspaper, GI & Hepatology News.
14 future GI physician innovators
We’re pleased to share the names of the 14 fellows who participated in this year’s AGA Innovation Fellows Program. These fellows joined us for a special session designed to hone their entrepreneurial skills and prepare them for future careers as GI physician innovators.
- Aymen Almuhaidb, MD, Northwestern University
- Amporn Atsawarungruangkit, MD, Brown University
- Anand Baxi, MD, University of Washington
- Umer Bhatti, MBBS, Indiana University
- Jacqueline Chu, MD, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Ashwinee Condon, MD, UCLA
- Dean Ehrlich, MD, UCLA
- Kelly Hathorn, MD, UNC Chapel Hill
- Jennifer Kolb, MD, University of California Irvine
- Kevin Liu, MD, Northwestern University
- Najib Nassani, MD, University of Illinois at Chicago
- Jennifer Phan, MD, UCLA
- Jasmine Sinha, MD, Northwestern University
- Sushrut Thiruvengadam, MD, UCLA
Take part in the AGA CGIT Innovator Education Program
The AGA Center for GI Innovation and Technology (CGIT) offers several on-demand programs to bring important concepts around GI innovation to AGA members.