This week, AGA, our partners at Fight Colorectal Cancer (Fight CRC) and other advocacy and industry leaders had the privilege to meet with the White House Cancer Moonshot coordinators and representatives from federal agencies in response to President Joe Biden and First Lady Jill Biden’s call to action to improve and increase access to CRC screening.
The working group – assembled by Fight CRC – convened as a part of the reignited Cancer Moonshot efforts and First Lady Jill Biden’s call to jumpstart progress on the nearly 10 million missed cancer screenings in the U.S. due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Former AGA president Dr. David Lieberman attended the meeting on behalf of AGA, during which the group discussed methods for continued collaboration between the Administration, patient advocacy groups and business leaders on public-private partnerships to ensure access to CRC screening for all Americans.
The group presented on three key initiatives:
“My CRC [cancer] moonshot is to reduce colon cancer cases and deaths and eliminate disparities in under-resourced and underserved communities,” Dr. Lieberman said. “I really believe that by working together – along with the partnership of the Administration – we can sharply reduce the burden of colon cancer for everyone in the United States.”
We are grateful for the opportunity to contribute to these ongoing conversations at the highest level and to continue our partnership with the Administration and other advocacy and industry stakeholders in the fight to save lives from colorectal cancer and achieve true health equity.
Participants in the White House Meeting:
- Carolyn “Bo” Aldigé – Prevent Cancer Foundation, Founder
- Andrew Barnell, MBA – Geneoscopy Inc., CEO and Co-Founder
- Daniel Bloomgarden – Fight Colorectal Cancer, Board Member
- Danielle Carnival, PhD – White House Cancer Moonshot, Coordinator
- Austin Chiang, MD, MPH – Medtronic, CMO Gastrointestinal
- Kevin Conroy – Exact Sciences, Chairman and CEO
- Erin Darbouze, MPH – Fight Colorectal Cancer, Health Policy Manager
- Anjee Davis, MPPA – Fight Colorectal Cancer, President
- Richard Goldberg, MD – Fight Colorectal Cancer, Board Member
- Greg Hamilton, MBA – Epigenomics, CEO
- Lisa Lacasse, MBA – American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network (ACS CAN), President
- David Lieberman, MD, AGAF – American Gastroenterological Association, Former President
- Molly McDonnell – Fight Colorectal Cancer, Director of Advocacy
- Arif Nathoo, MD, MPA – Komodo Health, Co-Founder and CEO
- Angela Nicholas, MD – Fight Colorectal Cancer, Board Chair
- Mike Nolan, MBA – Freenome, CEO
- Paula Chambers Raney – Fight Colorectal Cancer, survivor and advocate
- AmirAli Talasaz, PhD – Guardant Health, Co-Founder and Co-CEO
- Catharine Young, PhD – Assistant Director for Cancer Moonshot Engagement and Policy